Srinagar, May 23 (KNO): The search operation to trace the youth who allegedly jumped into river Jhelum from Budshah Bridge in Lal Chowk here entered its fourth day on Saturday, with MARCOS deep divers joining the rescue efforts alongside teams from the State Disaster Response Force (SDRF) and River Police.
An official told the news agency—Kashmir News Observer (KNO) that the Quick Response Team (QRT) of SDRF River Jhelum resumed the operation early Saturday morning and launched extensive searches across multiple stretches of the river.
He said Army’s MARCOS deep divers were also pressed into service to intensify the operation amid challenging river conditions, while River Police personnel also assisted in the rescue efforts throughout the day.
"The search operation was carried out from Budshah Bridge to several downstream locations, including Chattabal Weir, where rescue teams conducted thorough scanning operations in an attempt to trace the missing youth," the official said.
An official associated with the operation said that despite continuous efforts, no trace of the missing youth had been found till late evening. He said the operation was later suspended due to darkness and low visibility, and will be resumed on Sunday morning.
The incident has once again raised concerns over the absence of protective fencing at Budshah Bridge, with locals demanding immediate installation of safety barriers to prevent such incidents in future.
Several residents said that repeated incidents at the spot have highlighted the urgent need for fencing and other preventive measures along the bridge.
Deputy Commissioner (DC) Srinagar, Akshay Labroo recently said the process for the installation of fencing at the bridge would be taken up soon—(KNO)